Sunday, August 1, 2010

Hope was high, and life worth living

This weekend, I went away to one of my favorite places on earth for a Family Reunion.

At first, I was just super excited about getting out of this crazy town, and then I became excited about the location, then as soon as we got to the first meal with the family together, I was so happy to be there.

My dad always plans the family reunions for some reason, and he does a great job, always. This time though, everyone was cancelling last minute. But in the end, we had a great turnout with some great people and great stories.

Great stories, for me, was from one individual in particular; Mary-Jo.

Mary-Jo arrived with one of the members of the family, Helga. Everyone immediately saw how awkward Mary-Jo was at first, showing signs of Autism or Aspergers, but being the good people we are, we were very welcoming to her at dinner.

Soon enough, the dining room and inside of the house became too crowded for me, so I ventured off the porch outside. Now, the houses in Black Mountain are famous for their views, and their porches around the entire house. My sister followed me and we sat and wondered and whispered about Mary-Jo, until she came outside. My sister and I were in two separate chairs across from eachother, and Mary-Jo made her way to the couch in between the both of us. At first, we were making small talk with her. My sister and I both giggling at some of the extremely inappropriate and awkward things that she said. My sister would get up every so often, but I stayed in my spot. And I just listened the entire night.

Now, most of her stories were about her life, and what a rough one that she had. I knew all she needed was someone to listen, and that is what I did.

Holy cow, she had been through so much! Now, I wasn't positive that all of these stories were true, but what did I care? I had nothing better to do.

Well, I'm not going to go into detail about all of her stories, there were just so many. But I will say that she was an amazing story teller. Due to her disability, whatever it was, it was very hard for her to have expression on her face, but the volume and expression that she added to her stories were incredible. I could just picture everything that was going on.


At the church camp that I mentioned that I was at a couple weeks ago, there was a Mentally-Challenged teenage boy that happened to be in my Choice Group for the week. His name was Daniel. The whole camp got to know and love this kid. He was simply just, amazing. One of the sweetest and funniest people I had ever met.

Later on in the week, my friend Kari and I were talking about him, and she had been to a camp called Capernaum for YoungLife as a sort of counselor for children with disabilities. She began to tell me stories about some of the things that had happened that week, then she finally said something like this;

'The people with disabilities are really the good people. The humans without disabilities are mean, and do not appreciate life. But the disabled are always happy, and they love life more than anything. They are the true Christians.'

How right was she!? I feel like Kari is always right. Those who are disabled really DO love life, and they are so loving and always willing to take your hand and be there for YOU. How amazing is that?


So this weekend, I really and truly thank God for Mary-Jo, and I especially thank God for Helga. Not only did she bring Mary-Jo into my life, but Helga has been help take care of Mary-Jo. I am so honored to be a part of a family with such good support, nonetheless people.

Meeting and speaking with Mary-Jo this weekend really made me appreciate life. How wonderful is the life that God has given us all? We cannot control how our life goes, as much as we would like to or not. We can control our decisions, so make good ones, and why not enjoy everything that He has given us?




Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Psalm 51:10

No comments:

Post a Comment